One of my recent goals is that I want to be more accountable on my art making...
In my journal for 2017, I wanted to create a shorthand way to easily record what I was interested in at the moment and what I was inspired by. So I began writing and drawing the books, magazine articles, audiobooks, TV shows, movies, podcasts, and anything else that was inspiring me or influencing my artwork. Therefore, I will be posting a new blog post every week, that simply shows what is inspiring me each week. I will be sharing what I am currently reading, watching, listening to, and what I am inspired by. This is not because I think my cultural opinions are most important and want everyone to know it, but rather to record and share what I take in through the media every week. This will also be a way for me to continue to be accountable on my art making process and review how I am influenced by the media I am constantly taking in. Not to mention to connect with other people (through the world wide web) and be inspired by what inspires them!
*Also I am not a writer, I am an artist, so please excuse my subpar writing skills.
Here is what I am currently into this week:
- Reading: "Hold Still" by Sally Mann
- I just started this book but I love this her photography and I am very excited to learn more about her life
- Listening to: "You Must Remember Manson" by Karina Longworth/Panoply
- The Charles Manson's Hollywood series from the podcast "You Must Remember This"
- Just started this as well, but it is super well researched and super interesting!
- Highly recommend if you are into The Manson Murders
- Karina Longworth is an amazing writer and delivers this story so well! (I am in awe because I am not an amazing writer...hence bullet points...)
- Watching: Re-watching Pushing Daisies written by Bryan Fuller (whom I adore and always watch anything he writes)
- Pushing Daisies is one of my favorite shows because it is so artistically beautiful, creative, witty, and deals with death in the most interesting way.
- Highly recommend...except I am pretty sure you can only buy it on DVD, but its only two seasons and they are magical! So go buy them and champion for a broadway musical or a reboot like I am!
- The casting is beyond perfect... Lee Pace as the pie maker, KRISTEN FUCKING CHENOWETH, Anna Friel, Chi McBride, Swoosie Kurtz!!! It is literally a dream
- Inspired by: Zines
- I have been inspired by zines for a while now, I use them as a directive in art therapy quite a bit, I am collecting them constantly, I have attended multiple zine fests in SoCal and I wrote about their healing qualities for my Master's thesis.
- These are some of the zines in my own collection...
- Also here are places to find zines, stores that sell zines, and zine libraries:
- I love learning about new zines, so please reach out if you have any info to share!
- I will tag the makers of these pictured zines on my instagram so check them out!